Professional Education and Resources
Recovery Is Community is dedicated to providing opportunities for free CEU credit and high-quality professional education on opioid and substance use disorders.
Examples of training topics covered include:
- Addiction, Stigma, and Social Determinants of Health
- Brave Conversations About Substance Use
- Compassion Fatigue: The Cost of Caring
- Co-Occurring Bipolar Disorder and Substance Use Disorders
- Differential Diagnosis with Complaints of Attention Problems
- Evaluation and Diagnosis of ADD in Adults
- Fair Housing Act: Rights and Remedies for Those with Disabilities
- Military 101: Understanding and Supporting Veterans in Behavioral Health Care
- Moral Injury as a Consideration in Treatment of Servicemembers, Veterans, and Their Families (SVMF)
- Moving from Warm Handoffs (WHO) to Creating a Front-door to a Continuum of Care
- Overview of Alcohol Withdrawal
- Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT)
- Stimulant Use Disorder (StUD): Treatment Overview and Future Therapies
- Substance Use Disorder and Pregnancy
- Tobacco Use in Behavioral Health
View our training calendar for information about upcoming training opportunities.
Printable Flyers and Online Resources
PDF resources are available to download or print on important topics like signs of substance use, warm hand-off, safe sleep, and naloxone spray. We also provide links to online resources, including Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous meetings, naloxone resources, prescription drop-off locations, and helpful information about opioid use disorder and recovery.
Certified Recovery Specialist Class
Our Certified Recovery Specialist Class trains those who are in recovery from drug and alcohol addiction to become recovery specialists. Our program prepares participants for a certification test, leading to job opportunities helping others succeed on their recovery journeys.
Enrollment for the Certified Recovery Specialist class must be completed on the Pennsylvania Certification Board’s website.
Recovery Is... Video Series
This video series features conversations with professionals in the field of Addiction Medicine and people with lived experience in recovery from substance use disorders. These interviews provide insight into the disease of addiction, educate about treatment options, and reduce stigma associated with substance use.
Matrix Model Training for Substance Use Service Providers
Matrix Model is an evidence-based treatment program implemented in all levels of care, by any treatment provider who attends the training.
The model consists of 16 weeks of group sessions held three times per week, which combine Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, family education, social support, individual counseling, and urine drug testing.
The Matrix Model is acknowledged by the National Institute on Drug Abuse as an effective and scientifically based approach. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration lists the model on its National Registry of Evidence-Based Programs and Practices. It was also listed as a recommended evidence-based treatment model in Facing Addiction in America: The Surgeon General’s Report on Alcohol, Drugs and Health, a 2016 report released by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Surgeon General.